Saturday, November 12, 2011

What is the estimated time it will take to replace the rear rotors and pads on my 1982 Jaguar XJ6?

I have a 1982 XJ6 that needs new rear rotors and pads but this car has inboard rear brakes so I don't want to do it myself for fear of messing something up. I was wondering what the estimated time would be for a mechanic to replace the rear rotors and pads. I know it is a Jaguar so mechanics see $$$ when I ask for an estimate. I got an estimate from one place and they said with parts and labor it would be over $900 just for the rear! Someone please help me. Don't let me spend that kind of money! Thanks in advance.|||Doing the rear rotors is very tricky, but like anything else, becomes easier with experience. It's actuallyeasy enough to drop the axle, which will eliminate the access issues. It's going to take about twice the time as outboard brakes,whether you drop the axle or do it in place.





When you replace the rotors, try to find Brembo rotors. These have extra holes drilled in the hub area that allow you to pull the output shaft bearing out of the diff with the rotor in place. It may sound like another complication, but pulling out the rotor, caliper and output shaft all at once makes the job easier.





Thinking about it, find a shop to do this job.|||MY brother works for a jag dealer, He can do the rear breaks on the older jags in about an hour (thats with the Reconditioning of the rotors) I think that price is a little high. I would take it to a dealership. Get a quote form them and then 2 other independent shops that have worked with Jags before. I would avoid a shop that has not worked on jags. I only take jags in because my brother is willing to do the work on them when I bring them to him or call him. I myself have never touched one. but I would definatly get some more quotes. That sounds high to me. I seem to think the cost for the rear brakes should be around 400 to 500. Still expensive but thats better then a grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment