Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Where can I find a special OEM tire for my Jaguar?

I have a 1990 XJS 12 cylinder convertible with 29K miles. The car is all original, including the tires. They are cracked and only hold air for about a month, at a time. I want to replace them with the original equipment. I am looking for 4 Pirelli P600 tires, size 235/60 VR15. I am well aware that there are newer tires available with better performance characteristics, but I am attempting to maintain the vehicle in original condition. I am the third owner (eight years) and all service work has been completed by Jaguar of Cincinnati, the original dealer. I know that this vehicle is original. Does anyone out there know where I can find these tires in new condition, not dry rotted. They have not been manufactured for a few years.





Thanks|||Its been more than a few years since that tire was discontinued and even if you were to find a set I wouldn't be too eager to put them on. The effects of aging is a hot topic in the tire industry right now. There is no universal standard yet for how old a tie should be before it is taken out of service - the recommendations vary from 6 to 10 years but I don't know anyone who recommends having a tire on the car that is more than 10 years old - visible dry rot or not.





ASE Certified Automotive Service Advisor and tire expert

No comments:

Post a Comment